Friday, April 18, 2008

Day four

I get up and check the forecast. Every paper and TV station has a bright sun for tdays weather, which is great news as today is 100% exterior, one day only steadicam work.

I open my front door and it's hailing.

By the time I get on set it's stopped hailing but there's still plenty of cloud and what little sun does come through is weak. Still, at least it's not hailing. What it is, though, is cold. Really cold. There's a bitter wind that is freezing everyone to the bone and slowing everything down. We get a few shots done but it's all taking an age.

On to the first big scene of the day, Stevie and Emily bumping in to each other on the street. The sun comes out, the sun goes in. The sun comes out again we get shadows from the boom. We do take after take, then have to break for lunch. Back for more takes and nothing gets much better after lunch, but luckily I liked take two anyway. My decision to shoot much of the film in long, uniterrupted takes will look great but takes an age. I'll have to just go with what I feel is right, and sometimes compromise on other things otherwise we'll end up shooting more stock than Titanic did.

The net result is that we have to drop a whole scene, and a couple of reverses from another, to give us any hope of getting the other big dialogue scene under the bridge. Amazingly no trains ruin the audio and we get the shot. The downside is that no matter how hard the actors worked at trying to appear as if they were chatting on a balmy summers evening, it looked cold. It's suppoed to piss down on friday, but as I type this there's no sign of rain. I hate weather forecasts.

Day off today, and more tired than I have ever been. I had no idea answering loads of questions and carrying a large folder round could take it out of you so. Still, the catering is great, so who's complaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home