Friday, March 07, 2008

We always knew it would be tricky

The budget is small, we can't pay that much. We always knew that, but even so it's not nice when some people you really want to work on the film have to pass because it's been a quiet year so far and they just can't afford it. After so many years making short films and blagging things for free it seems a real shame to be doing that promised feature and still unable to pay people properly.

That said, they're all getting a reasonable wage, it's just not their freelance rate. Hope things are easier with the cast. Final casting sessions are this week, and it doesn't get any easier. the good news is that we have now seen someone who can play each of the main roles. They may not be THE role, but they're at the very least A version of the role. If casting ended now, and all other actors became unavailable then I know we have a cast that would work together well and look like a band. There's a couple I'm looking forward to seeing this week, but they may be terrible, in which case we go with this line up.

One actor who we really want is still unsure so I'm going to pen them a letter explainaing everything we're going to do in the film and why they have to do it. If that doesn't work then really nothing will.

In the meantime DoP Mike Eley got me to read 'I'll be in my trailer' by John Badham. It's a guide for directors in talking to actors, and my god, I wish someone had given me this ten years ago. It is, as they say, all killah and no fillah. I don't know who they are, but they're right.

As of Monday it's 5 weeks until the shoot. So, still plenty of time to do a Stephen Fry and fuck off to Belgium in terror.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home