Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Don't stop till you get enough

One of the things we had to do to get this film off the ground was to pay ourselves (Simon and I) just under fuck all with the rest deferred. I had no problem doing this (in theory at least, in practice it's been less easy) as I'd rather get the film made and be poor than hold out for a proper wage and not shoot anything. Obviously.

But one result of this is that we both now need money, so even though we're still finishing off the edit I'm putting together the proposal for the next film, A girl and a gun. We're going for the development fund at the film council. In theory this should be the logical thing to do as we've shown we can put together and complete (almost) a feature so now we'd like to do it again, and isn't that what the FC is there for. But in reality it's never that straight forward. I'm not a big fan of soft money anyway, I'd rather see it go to projects that will never be able to get funding, for people like Jarman (when he was alive) or Andrew Kotting, proper 100% arthouse pieces that can only be made with the intervention of public money. But if those in power consider that the remit should be wider, then I certainly won't hold back from applying on principle.

So we're talking to Minter, who did the excellent proposal for 1234, and getting one made for a girl and a gun. My idea is to style it like a French comic book, as it's all set in the south of France and has a slightly comic book feel to it (this link may be a little tenuous).

It's also a way of filling up my day not wondering how we're going to finish 1234. I'm not worried about it, it's all very straightforward, it's just that it takes time and I want to get on with it now.

It would certainly go quicker if I had Peter Carlton of Film Four's email address. Oh Peter, why must you be so mysterious?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home