Thursday, October 16, 2008

The party

I've been to many parties. I've been to super posh ones, though always as someone elses plus one, and I've been to smaller ones in my own right and had a blast (yes Uppsala, Leuven and Brest, I'm looking at you) but this was the first big party I'd ever been to when i didn't have to lie to get in, and it was great.

I spent half the night spotting famous people, and the other half trying to remember their names. The great and the good of British film were there, as well, thankfully, as a lot of people we knew. Highlights included one very drunk distributor mouthing off about bad How To Lose Friends was just as Toby Young squeezed past, and, best of all a woman from another distribution company who asked to be introduced because she loved the film. It was an absolute joy to be able to talk to someone you'd never met about the film and have them bring scenes and situations up rather than you having to tell them about the film. She works for a label we all very much admire, and so it was doubley nice to hear she'd enjoyed the film.

The bar ran out of drink just after all the tubes stopped running, but the event made up for the fact by giving away excellent goodie bags, including a bag stuffed full of Armani bits and bobs. I can safely predict that the delegates centre tomorrow will smell of the Armani code, so I shall wear my Tom Ford aftershave instead as a way of marking my territory from everyone else. It's a great improvement on my other plan for marking my territory out in the delegates centre, something I think I shall save for week 2.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Giles,

It's been such a pleasure reading your blog and keeping up to date on things. You must be so happy and proud with all the great reviews! I've been trying to get a ticket for tomorrow for ages and finally managed it yesterday as there was a cancellation. I'm bursting with excitement to see it. There is a few of the crew coming so we can give you some moral support for your Q&A. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Regards,
Angel

6:40 pm  
Blogger Ade said...

Hello,

we saw the film last night at the NFT and enjoyed it very much. For myself, frequent gig-going and a fondness of the London music scene added to the charming story; for the Missus (who knows some of my gigging friends had their likenesses in your film), lovely story and if I'd played her that music she'd have shrugged most of it off :)

I've already written a review on my myspace.com/just1page (got yourselves a page yet?) and told a few friends - but will have to update them about the sell out next weekend.

Have just ploughed through the blog of your diary too. Nice work.
Good luck with the film getting a wider audience.

1:38 pm  
Blogger Ade said...

PS I should clarify that I don't know any of the actors in the film, but I sure do recognise the characters !

1:39 pm  
Blogger and large said...

Good to see you last night Angel, and glad you like the film Ade. I'll go and check out your review right now,

giles

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home