Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's a small, small world

I went to see my friends Rob and Amelia tonight. They've both spent their lives in indie bands (Tallulah Gosh, Heavenly, Marine Research, Tender Trap), and have provided a huge amount of support for the film through script readings and advice. What I wasn't expecting was that one of their other guests tonight was Claudia Gonson from the Magnetic Fields. Rob and Amy had told her all about the film and she was really interested to hear more. they'd also told her about the line about her band being cut. She was very gracious about the whole thing, but I now have to try doubley hard to see if it will work in the film again.

I have a terrible feeling it won't, the scene reads so well now without that pause, but it was still great to have to make my apologies to someone whose music I really love about not name checking them in the final cut. And then it hit me, one of the title cards is still named after a Magnetic Fields song, so at least they're in there somewhere.

Odd that in the beginning of the film Stevie name checks Comet Gain (who later appear in the film), The Nation Of Ulyssess (who bass player later appears in the film) and Huggy Bear (whose guitarist later appears in the film), none of whom I knew were appearing when I wronte the lines, and now a Magnetic Fields track is mentioned and then I meet Claudia (loads of other bands are mentioned, but I knew them before I wrote the thing). I'm starting to think this film may be some magical device, like some kind of filmic monkey's paw. I'm going to try and put in a reference to Winona Ryder and see if she turns up on my doorstep tomorrow. The court order will obviously make that tricky, but I can but try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home